- Columbia University, Master of Arts degree in philosophy and education (1995)
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bachelor of Arts degree in the liberal arts (1990)
- Full tuition residency scholarship - Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown (1999)
- Fellow - Frederick Douglass Creative Arts Center Fellowship for
Young African American Fiction Writers (1995)
- Nominated by Essence magazine - National Association of Black Journalists award (2002)
- Hunter College Presidential Award for Excellence for Teaching (2004)
- Ulen, Eisa Nefertari. Crystelle Mourning. New York: Atria Books, August 2006.
- Mosaic literary magazine cover story (Spring 2007)
- Blacks & Books (Premiere Issue)
- The New York Daily News newspaper (Sunday, November 12, 2006)
- Essence magazine (October 2006)
- The Washington Post (September 7, 2006)
- Uptown magazine (Summer 2006)
- The Royal Gazette newspaper in Bermuda (August 15, 2006)
- Heart & Soul magazine (July/August 2006)
- "They're Not Talking About Me." Homegirls Make Some Noise: Hip Hop Feminism Anthology. Ed. Gwendolyn Pough, Elaine Richardson, Rachel Raimist, and Aisha Durham. New York: Parker Publishing, 2007
- "Tapping our Strength." Shattering the Stereotypes: Muslim Women Speak Out! Ed. Fawzia Afzal-Khan. New York: Interlink Books, 2005.
- "Letter to Angela Davis." Putting the Movement Back Into Civil Rights Teaching. Ed. Deborah Menkart, Alana Murray, and Janice View. Washington, DC: Teaching for Change/ PRRAC, 2004.
- "Muslims in the Mosaic." America Now: Short Readings from Recent Periodicals. Ed. Robert Atwan. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2002.
- "Letter to Angela Davis." Step into a World: A Global Anthology of the New Black Literature. Ed. Kevin Powell. New York: Wiley, 2000.
- "Sacred Space." What Your Mamma Never Told You: True Stories About Sex and Love. Ed. Tara Roberts. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2007.
- "They're Not Talking About Me." I've Known Rivers: The San Francisco Museum of the African Diaspora Story Project. Ed. Cheo Tyehimba. September 2005. www.iveknownrivers.org/story02.html
- "My Best Advice on Writing." The African American Guide to Writing and Publishing Nonfiction. Ed. Jewell Parker Rhodes. New York: Random House, 2001.
- "My Best Advice on Writing." Free Within Ourselves: Fiction Lessons for Black Writers. Ed. Jewell Parker Rhodes. New York: Doubleday, 1999.
- "Letter to Angela Davis." Letters of Intent: Women Cross the Generations to Talk about Family, Work, Sex, Love, and the Future of Feminism. Ed. Meg Daly and Anna Bondoc. New York: The Free Press, 1999.
- "Sisters' Stories." Sacred Fire: The QBR 100 Essential Black Books. Ed. Max Rodriguez. New York: Wiley, 1999.
- "The Menstrual Hut." Am I the Last Virgin?: Ten African American Reflections on Sex and Love. Ed. Tara Roberts. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
Articles in reference works:
- "Hip Hop (Women In)" The Encyclopedia of Africa and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History. 1st ed. 2008.
- Editor-at-Large and contributing writer for Fierce, a feminist magazine (Spring 2003 -- Spring 2004)